It's a Sweet Crop So Far for U.S. Sugar Beets
“The sugar market is strong and solid demand and the prices are solid. So we're just pretty positive at this time with the beets.”
Sugar beet content is averaging 18% sugar with tonnage at about 29 tonnes per acre and about 10% of the crop has left to be harvested. All sugar produced in the US stays in the US, he says.
“We raise about 85% or domestically use sugar 85% of the server that's used in the US is grown. The other 15% is imported and 55% of the domestic-grown crop is sugar beets and the other is from sugarcane. A larger portion is from sugar beet crop, all the northern states grow sugar beets in the southern states like Louisiana, and Florida. Some in Texas, they grow sugar cane, but we're all dolled up for the same purposes.”
Breidenback says the sugar is used mainly in bulk sugar bakeries and soft drinks.