CCGA Member Takes New Role
A Colorado Corn grower has a new role he hopes will make the next Farm Bill better for farmers and ranchers in Colorado.
Jeff Self was recently elected to the executive committee of the Southwest Council of Agribusiness.
Self is also on the board of the Colorado Corn Growers Association and is the first representative from the CCGA to serve in the new capacity with the Texas based Council of Agribusiness.
Colorado farmers and ranchers were relieved that the 2018 Farm Bill was finally signed, But Self says it was met with mixed reviews by farmers hit with natural disasters.”
SELF: The current Farm Bill is lacking a safety net. As a Colorado farmer, we endure hail storms, drought, floods, you name it. We’ve got it throughout our state. The current Farm Bill doesn’t address that.”
And Self says while crop insurance is important, it often doesn’t go far enough to make farmers whole. He says after disasters like floods or hail, crop insurance may cover 70 percent of a loss. Producers have to dip into savings, if they have any, to cover the other 30 percent. He says his position with the Southwest Council of Agribusiness gives him another avenue to improve the future of Colorado farmers and ranchers.